I Went Clothes Shopping – Again



When I made this resolution I figured I'm make some slips, some secret purchases that I wouldn't dare tell anyone about.

And I haven't... sort of. When I laid out the rules for myself, I told myself no new clothing or shoes, especially cheap stuff (i.e. fast fashion). I would allow myself to buy anything secondhand that I felt I really needed it or the price was right. And, if worse came to worse and I really needed something that I couldn't find in my own closet or a thrift store, that I could buy said item, as long as I was honest and open about it in this blog.

Over Christmas, the owners of Sister Bay Athletic Club gifted me a $100 gift card to Twisted Tree, a local clothing store they also own. It's been burning a hole in my wallet for 2 months. I told myself that since I wasn't actually going to spend any actual money, that it would be ok for me to use it and pick something out for myself – a reward for doing so well if you will!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RufsLiYx7mHaPohhkW4Flb-J56bqTN1R
My new fleece pullover from Twisted Tree.


After much deliberation, I settled on cozy, cute pullover fleece sweatshirt to keep me warm on hikes and outdoor runs, as well as some plantar fasciitis socks (something I actually needed!). The total came to $105.99. I happily used my gift card, then paid the remaining $5.99 with cash.

I felt guilty for a second – but only a second. The shirt is something I'll actually use and wear multiple times, not just something to wear once and be done with it. It is great quality (definitely not fast fashion!) and will last me for years to come.

And since I'm being so honest here, I should also mention that I bought 2 swimsuits on Amazon. In my defense, I haven’t bought a new swimsuit in a couple years and while packing for my upcoming trip to Florida, all the ones I currently owned looked, well, dingy. Worn out. OLD. A shiny, new, bikini was definitely something I needed. At the end of the day, I ended up only keeping one and returning the other — even better.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=10vu2LVhjPnYeWpt4JtPwlXLyWFEoHRYK
$22 swim suit from Amazon. 

Speaking of packing for Florida, the old Laurel would have went out and bought all new clothing for her vacation. Shorts, sandals, sundresses, swimsuits, even beach bags, sunglasses. This time though, I dug thru my dressers and closets and only packed things I already owned...

Plus one new swimsuit!

I’m still learning, but feel as though I’ve come so far! I think this little experiment is working. 

48 days down, 317 days to go. 

xo Laurel


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Went Clothes Shopping

2019 Spending Realization

A New Years Resolution